Saturday, January 14, 2012

Why people think Pilates is so hard

It seems to me that people who make this statement have never worked with a certified instructor one on one.  Most people's first exposure to pilates is in a group class or through a DVD.  They hear all the hype about how pilates changes your body and can get you in that bikini, and my favorite..... all the celebrities are doing it, so it has to be great.  In all honesty, that is what brought me to pilates, an infomercial making all of those promises.  I was a runner and being 5'1" I was starting to look like a fire plug.  I needed something different, and pilates did in fact change my body.  But you must also keep in mind that I was running 5 days a week and doing pilates 5-6 days a week.  I was a little obsessed.

The benefits of working with a certified instructor is learning the fundamentals first.  It is impossible to do this in a group class that has all different levels.  A good DVD will do this, but you really have to stay with the pace of the beginner DVD.  This is usually a very deliberate pace, which is the main reason people probably skip that part and move to the exercises.  I tell my clients that the fundamentals are the building blocks, your base.  If you don't learn them and let your body feel them, the whole thing falls apart.  I heard a quote from a fellow instructor and I don't know where she heard it from, but I thought it was very true. "Pilates is easy when you do it wrong."  Pilates is a method, it is a process.... a path.

I stress with every client that walks in the door that Pilates is a commitment.  You may not walk out of your first session feeling like you did much.  But over time you will feel stronger, you will be standing straighter; overall, you will feel better.  I have a lot of butterflies in my studio, because that is what pilates makes you feel like.  You start out wrapped in your cocoon of bad habits and hunched shoulders and you emerge as a beautiful butterfly!  I tell each of my clients that Pilates changes you from the inside out.  It is a process.  I have been practicing pilates for over eight years and each time I do it I find something new in my body.  I continue to learn........that's what makes you an inspiring teacher........to remain a student.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Pilates Community? Our members will appreciate it.
    Members include: Pilates Enthusiasts, Instructors, Experts, Studios, etc.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Articles, Photos, Videos and Classifieds if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often as you like.
    The Pilates Community: http://www.vorts.com/pilates/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete